@Will First, Program Managers and Project Managers are different
beasts (usually).

@Patrick Amen.

I don't care what Joel calls the job, though I'd prefer he
recognize that design is something that requires training as much as
programming does. He comes from MS, and MS has Program Managers.
They've got designers now too, but I suspect there were a lot fewer
when Joel in the Excel 5.0 days. So, Joel writes about Program
Managers. The way he describes the job sounds very familiar to what
I've done in much of my career.

It surprises me that this discussion has focused so much on *what* he
calls the job, then the relationship he describes between designers
and developers.

Of course, when programmers are peers of the program managers, the
programmers tend to have the upper hand. Here%u2019s something that
has happened several times: a programmer asks me to intervene in some
debate he is having with a program manager.

%u201CWho is going to write the code?%u201D I asked.

%u201CI am%u2026%u201D

%u201COK, who checks things into source control?%u201D

%u201CMe, I guess, %u2026%u201D

%u201CSo what%u2019s the problem, exactly?%u201D I asked. %u201CYou
have absolute control over the state of each and every bit in the
final product. What else do you need? A tiara?%u201D

And yes, Fog Bugz is ugly and kind of hard to use.