@Jason
"It surprises me that this discussion has focused so much on what he
calls the job, then the relationship he describes between designers
and developers."

Why is that surprising???  We (us, the industry, etc.) have to agree
on a name for our role.  Without it we lack credibility and it makes
it very difficult for the simple things like job hunting, etc.  You
know what an architect does.  You know what a dentist does.  When I
hire people my HR dept (and we're a 300  company) can't decide what
their payscale should be because they have no good data or
understanding about what usability / user interface designers do!