On Mar 10, 2009, at 7:12 PM, mark schraad wrote:

In my life I have met handful of people who could be a candidate for such a role. As a hiring manager or owner I could spend all of my time looking - and frankly, there many other tasks worthy of this time. To put this sort requirement out there as a standard would be irresponsible.

Irresponsible?

Hardly. And for what its worth, the hard skills I list are being acquired daily by the new crop of digital designers emerging who have a much different context of what they grew up with with regard to technology. Knowing how to use Photoshop, Illustrator/Fireworks, Microsoft Word, InDesign, Visio, and all of the rest are variations on a theme, so complaining about how to learn software when your job is to design software seems to me a contradiction.

After that, learning how to script HTML, CSS and JavaScript is the most basic form of scripting that anyone who spends a little time doing can pick up well within a year's timeframe, and yields a massive amount of control in how well you can build and design your software.

Irresponsible?

The skills I laid out are a fraction of what lawyers, doctors and architects are expected to learn and know. A fraction. Industrial designers are expected to know more than the skills I laid out.

Further, there are people in Silicon Valley who get paid $120K a year to draw Visio wireframe diagrams all day long. $120K... to draw Visio diagrams.

Irresponsible?

Are you kidding me?

Seriously... I have no idea why some of you say or think these things. The skills I laid out are not impossible nor excessive. Further, they are precisely the skills that make one a designer who can controls the fate of the work they design, as opposed to someone who simply tells people what to build and hopes at the end of the day "they" get it right.

Learning those skills, mastering those skills, it's also why the job is *fun*. You get to *make* things with the skills I laid out. Why wouldn't you *want* to pick them up?

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Chief Design Officer, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world

e. and...@involutionstudios.com
c. +1 408 306 6422