In the spirit of keeping the conversation going ...

I'm also approached quite a bit with this issue.

I'm not sure there is a single "white paper" or FAQ that is going
to take care of all the variables that come to mind. I do like what
Jared suggested, but I'm still thinking that it relies on some
ability to know what it takes to make a product "easy to use" (ugh!
as if that is the goal).

I would say is create a fairly generic ad for the type of person you
are looking for. Then (without getting into the argument on the value
of portfolios) I would look at portfolios. I would specifically look
for/at portfolios that convey the story of the type of person I'm
looking for. If indeed "making easier" is what you are looking for,
I would look for portfolios of people who demonstrate a change from X
> Y that proves that Y is better than X and the methods they used to
do it.

The stories of the portfolios or the presentations of those
portfolios will actually help you reflect on the story that you are
hoping to engage and as that story gets more solid through this
process you can hone your own job description a bit more.

In doing this work though, unfortunately, is time consuming and
difficult to farm out b/c you need to hear the stories. So giving
this to a recruiter to do for you wouldn't make much sense.

Alternatively, there are now a host of recruiters out there who
specialize in creative and UX who would love to do this work for you
and usually include consulting services as part of what they do.

-- dave