On 16 Mar 2009, at 04:21, David Cortright wrote:
[snip]
And to me, that's the place that someone who knows nothing about the design
space should start. By hiring a consultancy, you're not just getting
production. You are getting a consultant who understand your business needs, can educate you in the design space, and can do so in a "try before you buy"
contract environment.

So there's my answer. Hire a reputable design consultant who has a portfolio of work that the manager/VP likes and use that as a launching board for
potentially hiring full-time in-house designers.
[snip]

I think that hiring "reputable design consultant" is probably just as difficult for somebody without UX related knowledge as hiring a good full time employee....

I've lost count of the UX disasters I've been involved with that are due to folk hiring some guy/firm in as a consultant based on a portfolio with some pretty pictures in it.

Adrian
--
delicious.com/adrianh - twitter.com/adrianh - adri...@quietstars.com