Thanks to folks for responding on this question.

*Behavior is Our Medium*
I watched the presentation by Robert Fabricant.  It was interesting, very
reminiscent of some themes in *interactions* lately.

 Social engineering has been around for a long time now.  Using psychology
as a tool to shape people's behavior, in general, has been around for a long
time.

But I don't think that interaction design's only goal is to give form
to behavior.  Often, it is more to facilitate behavior or to make behavior
more enjoyable or to increase the effectiveness of behavior.  In those
cases, behavior is not essentially changed or shaped--it's the things that
the people are using to accomplish their goals that are being designed.

Even in the case of social engineering, it seems you are not actually
designing behavior but rather designing *things* to impact behavior, so
again, the media could be any number of things but not behavior itself.  I
would venture to say that the only behavior you can consider a true design
medium is your own.  The best you can do with others' behavior is try to
influence it, not design it.  (But I guess this is really a philosophical
digression...)

To the other things interaction designers can do:

*Organization*
People have been thinking about organizing groups of people for maximum
effectiveness since time immemorial.

*Communication*
As Robert showed, people have been communicating using whatever tools they
have forever.

*Commerce*
Products and services have been designed and created for a very, very long
time as well.

I guess the second half of my question is at play here.  There are and have
been others not in the proper role of "interaction design" who have done all
these things.  They likely even specialize in these areas.  What is it about
the interaction design role (or even just the activities) that brings
something new and valuable?

I think what I'm hearing (not just here) is not so much that "interaction"
design is the core but just Design (with the big D, i.e., a
specifically-principled approach at designing).  I'm hearing that the
opinion is that Design can do things better in all these areas, including
but not limited to software.

That's fine.  It's an opinion.  It may even be true.  But Design, while
encompassing (potentially) dealing with interactions, is not limited to
that.  And I think the point's been made by others many times, Design has
been around much longer than "interaction design," so what specifically is
new, different, and special about *interaction* design?  Why couldn't I just
hire, say, an industrial designer to do the same job?  Why not just attend
an industrial design school?

What's the special sauce in "interaction design" as distinct from Design
that has been and is being taught and practiced under other auspices?

I keep returning to software as being the new thing--this digital,
extensible, malleable medium that allows me to take this hunk of hardware
that someone else designed (maybe I worked with them on that, maybe not) and
add that extra special stuff, using my Design principles, my
research/experience with the domain/people, and unique skills understanding
the medium of the digital world (software) to make something beautiful come
together.

Can I (the hypothetical IxD) do other kinds of design?  Surely.  I can help
with organization, communication, and overall product and service design.
But my specialty--why I have this specific "interaction designer" self
identity/role/title is due to my special skills with this new interactive
medium--software.

Put another way, if it isn't software (digital stuff) that precipitated this
particular role of "interaction designer," then what is it?  Why is this
role just recently (historically speaking) blossoming?

If it does come from software but there has been the gradual recognition
that Design needs to influence more than just the software for a
holistic experience to emerge, why should "interaction design" be the role
that does this?  Why not the other design specialties?  And isn't there some
truth that at some point, if you climb up this ladder influence/focus, you
lose (practically speaking) the specialty that gave you the "interaction
designer" role in the first place?

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but what we do, our roles, and our names
for them should reflect what we're actually doing--if we're doing "service
design" maybe we should call it that and not "interaction design."  If we're
doing "product design" maybe we should call it that and not "interaction
design."  If we're doing a little bit of everything that ultimately impacts
the experience of the people using (users) and/or buying (customers), then
maybe the name should reflect that (e.g., "user experience designer" or
"customer experience designer" or even just "experience designer,' if you
prefer, all of which seem more apropos at that level than "interaction
designer").  It seems people agree here that names and words are important,
no?

And if you do keep the names meaningful in that way, then interaction design
retains some meaningful, specific content, with specific activities, goals,
and contexts that can be trained for, learned, and practiced above and
beyond the generality of Design.

Thoughts?

--Ambrose

P.S. A while back, I ran across this
article<http://worrydream.com/MagicInk/#interactivity_considered_harmful>.
One of the claims is that in some cases, interaction is detrimental to the
overall experience, particularly in the case of what he calls "information
software."  It makes sense, but I would expect that it would be very likely
that an "interaction designer" would at some point work on designing
something with such a lack of interaction (and would think it good design).
Another case where the name seems not quite up to par. ?  Or I guess you
could say interaction design includes knowing when to avoid interaction. :)