J Ambrose Little: "I do see some tendency to dismiss or at least
minimalize and marginalize the "scientific" contributors in this
space. Personally, I see value in both approaches to the problem of
designing things to reach the Quality Without a Name. As a designer,
I would prefer to synthesize the good in all these different
approaches. I think a greater respect from all sides is called
for%u2014*including the engineers* who are equally scoffed at by both
the "scientific" and "design" folks. "

I can sense that there is some of this so thanks for making the
point. Like yourself, I have to concur that all approaches bring
value to the table. In my team, we have 3 IxDers and 1 graphic
designer, and we all have different backgrounds (business analysis,
programming, art, research & testing) but the point is that working
together, we have a skill-set that leaves few weaknesses. Even though
we're a new team, we're already producing some great and practical
ideas solutions to very real problems and (I would hope) are stronger
than most single candidates because we bring so many viewpoints to the
process. This helps in reviewing ideas to that when we finish with our
work we can be more certain that it meets all our requirements: those
of the user, those of the business, those of the developers,
sleekness and smoothness etc.

Sadly we can't talk about these things until they've been released
- I wish we had a live lab where we could put up ideas for wider
examination and feedback.

Anyway apologies as this post has turned into another "problems with
IxD" post as opposed to chatting about stuff we do.