> In the US a very scientific approach was formed. It built off the
> work being done in Human Factors and called itself HCI & its method
> collection as User-centered Design.
> In other parts of the world, especially in Europe, designers began
> applying THEIR methods and practices to understanding this in a
> fairly different way.

There are some on this list, including myself, who attended a design
school in Europe. I would like to know if this is really so different
from the US in terms of teaching.

I graduated in Communication Design, and there was a sub-field called
"Interactive Systems" where I did most of my coursework. Now, after
completing, there are also "Interface Design", "Interaction Design" and
"Information Design" courses emerging in Germany. They have UCD classes,
we didn't.
Yes, we didn't care much about formal HCI or Usability issues, in fact
most of the knowledge about these things I acquired in self-study. Just
as mastering some code and design apps, but that is expected from any
student at my school, because classes are essentially about studio work.
There are no Photoshop or HTML classes. Some theory courses centered
around art, semiotics, systems and media theory.

> I think that it is from here (That Euro school of design thing) that
> many are unaware of, b/c they haven't looked for it, or otherwise
> experienced it, but THIS is what for me has made IxDA and IxD a

But why then IxDA was created by Americans, in the US?
I think it is the mix of HCI knowledge and Design methods that makes the
difference.

milan

--
milan guenther * interaction design