Gilberto, I totally agree w/ your take that aesthetics can lead to
usability and even the opposite, that usability can lead to
aesthetics.

Jared, it isn't absolutely a dichotomy and maybe, I'm using the
wrong terms.

While I agree that a beautiful interface that doesn't work (in some
ways) may become ugly, but I also agree with Norman's assertion that
something emotionally appealing can basically make up for its lack of
usability. Beauty and the positive emotional impact associated with
that creates a pain threshold that I'm not sure I have observed the
other way around. I have really seen a "usable" product really make
me feel more engaged.

For clarification and for the purposes of my post and I'd like to
suggest for this thread I am speaking usability quite narrowly
possibly. I'm considering usability the quality of a product related
to the efficiency and rate of success towards completing a desired
activity. Basically, whether a user can or with what level of
consistency and efficiency they can complete an intended task in the
product design.

So again, I do think that I would if the 2 areas became in contention
and I have many experiences where they have, learn towards the
aesthetic over the purely usable b/c aesthetics can be used to engage
in ways that pure usability does not seem to in my experience.

-- dave