Not sure I see the contention between usability and aesthetics. Maybe you could give an example from one of your experiences?

I see usability as a scalar attribute, measured from Extreme Frustration to Extreme Delight. Efficiency and success rates really only talk to the frustration portion of the scale. Engagement (both with the design and their corresponding brands, thus expanding into the 'experience' aspects) increases as you move past the neutral center (neither frustrating nor delighting) and focus on design elements that enhance delight.

Limiting usability to only deal with the frustration portion of the scale would be equivalent, in my opinion, to limiting aesthetics to color palettes.

I think we can agree that a very beautiful, yet extremely frustrating design would be unacceptable. But, I'm not sure how you'd create an extremely ugly, yet extremely delightful design.

At some point the aesthetics must become integrated into the design, along with the functionality, to create the delight.

Also, I believe that at some point, aesthetics become personal and contextual. Many users are delighted with Craigslist (surprisingly so!). While its clear that an aesthetic makeover would be easy to do with Craigslist current design, would it truly enhance the experience of those users who are already delighted?

I believe that the only way a makeover could truly bring more value to Craigslist's users would be if it was very carefully tuned by bringing out capabilities currently hidden by the current (lack of) aesthetic presentation. Yet, because of the simplicity of the overall functional set, those capabilities would need be tailored to niche audiences for their specific needs (enhancing interfaces for certain types of job hunters, for example). The context of use and the needs of the individual user is the critical challenge of the design space for Craigslist.

So, in this example, I believe, the "ugly" veneer of the Craigslist design contributes to its current level of delight. (For the same reason that delighted Costco customers would not be happier if it took on Neiman Marcus's aesthetic qualities.)

This is all a long way of saying that I think at a certain point, beauty and usability converge and thus aren't in contention, instead are synergistic. It's all about meeting needs and desires. Only when working together, does the beauty and usability of the design reach perfection.

But what do I know? I'm just an academic who has never designed anything. My opinion isn't worth the money you've paid for it. :)

Jared