Good point!  Aesthetics is really powerful and its effect on people's
emotions is instantaneous.  Therefore the need to use it as an integral
component of the design (IMHO).

I would like to argue that there is an important emotional charge coming
from usability too.  Perhaps in a much slower fashion but as equally
critical.  And that a potential mismatch of these two forces can ultimately
jeopardize the wow effect even if aesthetics helps make the users more
tolerant to other design issues.

I have seen marketing people bossing designers into improving the
look-and-feel aspect of a "broken" product to promote it out of Beta or
justify changes on pricing.  That's the traditional "lipstick on the pig"
approach that encourages a misuse of aesthetics.

My fear is that aesthetics-over-usability could be interpreted by others in
that fashion, even though I know that's not what it means to you.

Usually the contention has its origin in the lack of proper planning or
one-sided vision from other departments, stakeholders or customers.  I try
to address that early enough to make sure time is fairly allocated to
address usability and aesthetics as a whole and in an iterative approach,
allowing for gradual and integral improvements over time.

This is one of those rare situations where I become a bit draconian;
nowadays, I opt to not compromise one over the other (and I get in trouble
from time to time because of that).  I would abide to your first principle
here (holism over centrism)   ;)

Gilberto

p.s.:  I celebrate Norman's approach on this subject; I'm just trying to
find a middle ground.