I usually start on White boards/paper. It's fast and flexible, and
definitely high value used in the correct circumstances.

Also I don't think paper prototyping is any more or less disposable then a
digital Wireframe version. I'm looking directly at a paper prototype now, on
the wall infront of me, which has outlived almost every digital wireframe in
the product I'm working on.

Rich