Richard, I think the question is framed incorrectly. "Sketching" is
not about the tools you use, but about the intention you have with
those tools. Some may disagree but I have fallen directly on the
doctrine that Bill Buxton proposed in his Sketching User Experience
book. I also reframed it slightly to suggest that sketching
regardless of the tool used has these properties:

1) disposable - not in the sense that it can be thrown out but that
it WILL be thrown out.

2) volume (multiplicity) - You need a critical mass of quantity of
sketches around the domains you are working on.

3) Roughness - the more refined it is the more it will illicit
unintended responses from those that you are share it with

I'm going blank at the moment, but if you just use those 3 and you
stick w/ the intentionality of question (instead of statement) then
you are sketching.

Now all of that together usually leads people to paper and pen(cil).
But as I said the tool is not the point.

If you are drawing or even white boarding and you do 1 or 2 and then
done, you are not sketching in the design process sense, but only in
the type of drawing style sense.

But that's my take on this.

-- dave