Putting ideas on paper might seem like a waste to a stakeholder.  But
the one point to get across is that you're less likely to self edit
and clean up your ideas while sketching.  Pen and paper allows you
the ability to throw out ideas quickly and not necessarily worry
about the final deliverable to the stakeholder.  I prefer to sketch
ideas out and put into Omni, Visio or straight to HTML prototype
depending on the project.   But I have noticed that working in the
software as a first step, I'm definitely not as open to ideas and
thinking of the issue from another angle.

Also, check out these two resources.
Thoughts from Will Evans on sketching -
http://blog.semanticfoundry.com/2010/01/31/shades-of-gray-thoughts-on-sketching/

Great book by Todd Zaki Warfel on prototyping -
http://rosenfeldmedia.com/books/prototyping/