mortslim;364359 Wrote:

> Slim Devices may want to consider its own hard drive equipped
> Squeezebox with networking capabilities as a response.

Not a bad idea... a more simple solution than a NAS or a low-power
server (or any dedicated server, for that matter), and a Squeezebox
music server would be far more preferable (at least to me) than an
iTunes one, as I dislike almost everything about iTunes, and need
support for flac and ogg.

But I'm not in that market, as I already have an always-on
SqueezeCenter in the form of my NAS, and I'm sure a lot of people on
these forums would prefer the flexibility that installing SqueezeCenter
on a dedicated home server brings.

But there is a market for less tech-savvy music listeners that Apple TV
(and iPod/iTunes, for that matter) taps into, and Slim Devices could
maybe muscle in on. The first immediate advantage (in my opinion) of a
Squeezebox over an Airport Express, is the built-in display and ir
control that the SB3 has (it's so much quicker/simpler than having to
pick up something and open an app--especially as the lame-o iPhone
doesn't allow background applications to run--just to see what song is
playing or to change a track). I wouldn't trade either of them for
anything.

--
JadeMonkee

2x squeezebox classics {1x wired, 1x wifi} | squeezecentre v7.2.1 |
'readynas duo' (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22) {
raidiator 4.14 | 1gb hynix hymd512m646cfp8-j | 2x 1tb samsung hd103uj }