l.vervae...@telenet.be;445744 Wrote:

> What else is there to speed things up?
> Thinking of:
> 1. creating folders A to Z so the artists are no longer in one folder.
> = Would this help alot or not?
> 2. add memory to readynas duo to for example 1GB.
> = Some people say this doesn't help because the cpu is botteneck
> here.
> 3. change settings in the my.sql file but I'm not a mysql user.
> = any thoughts on that?
> 4. wait for the squeezecenter 8 to run sqlite.
> = any tests on performance yet?
> 5. buy another NAS
> = any recommandations?
>
> Any help is very much appreciated and if you have questions about
> installing and stuff I can help (only got the duet for 3 days so no hard
> questions yet...)

Of that list #1 is definitely worth trying.

What you're coming up against is that teh ReadyNAS Duo is hopelessly
underpowered for running Squeezecenter at a performance level expected
by most people.

*Bottom line, the CPU in that NAS is too slow. End of story.* You can
tweak and tune, but in the end you are polishing a turd.

I've run SC on a slow NAS in the past and it's no fun. My rule of thumb
is that is if take your server/NAS more than 1hr to do a full scan of
your music library, your server/NAS is not up to the job. This is not
because the scan itself is a major issue, it's because the scan is a
great indicator as to the size of your library vs. the CPU speed of your
server. If either push your server over a 1hr full scan it's time for a
new server.

I run a QNAP TS-239 which is really the minimim I'd recommend once you
have more than a few thousand tracks. Once over 30k or so even an Atom
is possible too slow and a C2D should be considered.

--
shake-the-disease

Players: Boom, SB1
Server: QNAP TS-239 w/ SSOTS 3.18, SS 7.3.3, MusicIP 1.8, 7k+ tracks
(formally running SS 6.3.1 on a QNAP TS-101)