l.vervae...@telenet.be;445898 Wrote:
> or look for a small pc (but I hate wasting energy)
this comes up every so often, and I have views on the subject :)

This was from another thread some time ago:
funkstar;409310 Wrote:
> How much is this little system going to cost you?
> How much can you buy a second hand, basic PC for? (probably < 100
> Euro)
>
> What are your running costs for the low power system?
> What would be your running costs for the second hand PC once you strip
> everything you don't need out of it? (optical drive, floppy, card
> readers, etc.)
>
> Now taking these two comparisons into account, how long is it going to
> take you to spend more on energy powering the second hand PC, than the
> purchase and running costs of the Geode system?
>
> And if you are doing it for environmental reasons, then buying new
> hardware to save the environment is not going to work and if flawed
> thinking :) The carbon footprint -to you- for the Geode will be a lot
> higher than the zero for recycling the second hand PC (someone else has
> already taking the carbon footprint hit for buying that one new in the
> first place). And as a bonus, the second hand PC will have the
> performance to run other services if you needed and will be far quicker
> at serving your 3 or 4 Classics.
>

> However, you can ignore all that if you want to build this as an
> excercise in putting together something cool :D

This was in response to someone custom building a very small PC,
efectively self building a NAS box, as it would have had about the same
processing power and been just as expensive or even more so. The
argument is the same for your situation as well.

--
funkstar

my collection:
*1*x boom
*2*x controller, *1*x receiver
*2*x sb3 (sliver/black, *1*x sb2 wired (silver), *1*x sb (black)
*1*x slimp3 (with rear shield)

interested in any others if you have them!