l.vervae...@telenet.be;445989 Wrote:
> So if we take a normal pc or portable what is then needed to run the
> squeezebox duet fast? (with about 55k songs)
> In terms of CPU / memory. I'd leave all the music on the NAS because I
> think access speeds are good enough on the ReadyNAS DUO.
> Looking for a quick, good and fast solution...
>
> Thank you!

slightly ot:

A low power pc might not always use less power then a pc with higher
peeks. Rightly configured a faster cpu will finish the job faster and
can go to power save faster (deep sleep modes etc).  (this is partially
the reason why an amd sempron can use less power on average then an atom
(beside chipset) and same goes for the via nano cpu is better).

under linux you can tweak this pretty good, you want an ondemand cpu
scheduler and you can use tools like intel's powertop to see how much
time it spend in what state.
Also chipset is important (if you want more info try reading up on the
whole energy efficient intel atom and power hungry chipset they are sold
with, enough articles about it on the internet).

Also laptops howto's can help you minimize power user. (f.e. turning
off onboard soundcard, wifi, etc.)

--
qball