shake-the-disease;445806 Wrote:

> I run a QNAP TS-239 which is really the minimim I'd recommend once you
> have more than a few thousand tracks. Once over 30k or so even a single
> core Atom is possibly too slow and a dual core something should be
> considered.

I also tried running SC on an old Buffalo NAS and it was impossibly
slow.

However, I now run it on a QNAP TS-219P which only has 512MB RAM
compared to 1.5GB of TS-239, and the speed is actually faster than
running SC off my dual core Thinkpad laptop.

The rescan speed when running through the laptop was much slower,
probably due to the fact that the drive is mapped through the network.

The web and remote control response is also slower on the laptop,
partly because the laptop is not dedicated and runs many other
processes.  And mostly because of the ailment of Windoze and especially
Windoze Vista.

So for me, the QNAP TS-219P is also acceptable.

My experience with QNAP is extremely positive, built quality is superb,
software is excellent, and the fan is whisper quiet.

Comparatively my Thecus N299 is built with cheap plastic and the fan
sounds like a old Chevette disel with a broken tailpipe.  Thecus N299
also had zero firmware update since its introduction, had no spin down
for hard disks, their so called support never answered my repeated email
for help, not even once.

Whatever you do, think twice before buying Thecus.

--
agentsmith

System 1: Transporter+Hi-Line RCA-DIN, Naim
202/200/Hicap+Powerline/NAPSC, Naim NAT03 tuner, CD5X, Harbeth Monitor
30
System 2: SB2 or Airport Express connected via TOSLINK to a Meridian
F80
Headphone: Naim Headline+NAPSC and ancient Senn HD580