squeez-er;494952 Wrote:
> Sorry I forgot to mention that I didn't compare the "discontinued price"
> to the Touch. When I bought the classic (while it was still under
> production) I paid 200€ for it.
>
> Didn't know the MSRP was indentical, thanks for the info.
>
> But then again, that doesn't really matter; all that matters is that
> now the customer has to pay 1/3 more than before. If I would be that
> customer, I would feel like I'm paying more for something I don't need
> or want.
When the SB3 came out about 4 years ago its street price was around
€300, and it stayed there for a long time. You'll probably be able to
get an SB Touch for €200 after it has been out for 4 years as well.

Besides the touchscreen, the Touch supports hi-res audio files. More
important, it is no longer a "slim device", but a full-fledged computer
that is capable of running the server software itself, ie, don't need an
pc running for local libraries. There are lots of reasons why it could
cost more than an SB3, but actually, the street prices on release will
be the same or nearly the same.

Re differences between the Boom and Radio, the main ones are pretty
obvious just from looking at the pictures. The Boom is stereo, the Radio
is mono. The Boom has the VFD screen, the Radio has LCD. The Boom's MSRP
is US$300 and the Radio's is US$200 (sorry, don't know Euro prices) --
discounts are available on both.

Btw, the www.logitechsqueezebox.com web site is defunct. It should be
redirecting you to the www.logitech.com site. Either way, both sites do
indeed refer to Squeezebox Server software (see 2 links below), although
it is also clear that they are trying to pitch the computer-less
approach via www.mysqueezebox.com, Rhapsody, etc.

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/how-it-works/setting-things-up.html

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/4707&cl=us,en

--