bruce;495081 Wrote:
> I don't understand the configurations and usage scenarios you're
> anticipating will be a "godsend". How many people carry music around on
> thumb drives as opposed to MP3 players (which don't need a Touch to play
> through a stereo)? Will people buy an external drive to store their
> music rather than running SlimServer on a PC, and if so, how will they
> add music to it, and will the drive be accessible throughout their
> network?
>
> I agree that setting up and managing a SlimServer is complicated for
> non-techies, but I don't understand how the Touch will help. Maybe I'm
> missing something.
>
> (Thanks for the rest of your reply, however, which makes sense to me.)

It has samba, so the disc will appear on the network just as any other
NAS .

But the built in server has some limitations, for example no web-UI
wich I think is a mistakes as so many want to use the web-UI for
controlling the device, in this case you are better served by a real
server.

But it has much more options than the SB3 the improved 24/96 digital
out sold it to me.

It is marketed as costing the same as the SB3 the US price of the Touch
is the same as the original US price for the SB3 .
But nobody told the rest of logitech so it is 1/3 more expensive than
the original SB3 price in most of Europe, this would upset some
(inluding me) but it only expose lack of control and limitations withing
logitech.

Eventually on-line stores will bring the price down.

But in the end of the day,price would not stop me from getting it ?
It costs a mere fraction of the music library that you are supposed to
play on it anyway.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: SB3 (soon to replaced by a Touch :) It is on preorder)
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Receiver (soon to be replaced by my SB3 and the SBRto be
stuffed in a box in the attic )
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
controll this