bruce wrote:
> I agree that in many scenarios the touch screen is irrelevant. (Both my
> Classics are behind glass.) I hope that either the touch functionality
> is not expensive to include (does anyone know?) or Logitech will
> eventually introduce a cheaper non-touch version.

Touch screens are commodities these days. The old style screen was very
expensive. I have not looked at the volume pricing, but I expect that a
great, color touch screen is no more expensive than the old VLD screen.

I do not expect (but I have no inside information) that a non-touch
version will ever be made. What I expect is that touch screens will
become ever cheaper as more cell phones and computer monitors include
touch screens.

Focusing on the screen is a bit misguided, IMHO. The Touch is much more
than a Classic with a touch screen. Its a computer. Its not really a
"slim device" as it can do things like read music off of a thumb or even
external disk drive. For folks who already have a SlimServer, the
ability of the Touch to work as a serverless system may not be all that
critical, but for new users, it will be a godsend.

Plus the DAC inside the Touch is better than the one in a Classic, so if
you care about audio quality, you can save the cost of an expensive
external DAC.

Its better. Really. It will be releases soon, as soon as the software is
ready. And I am sure that over time, the price will come down.

What folks tend to forget is that the Classic is just a new name on a
SB3, and the SB3 is just a new plastic package on the SB2. Its really
old. Its ancient, almost prehistoric, in computer peripheral times. The
underlying technology of the Classic/SB3/SB2 is nearly too old to
contemplate. Sure, its dirt cheap, but so is a Pentium 4 computer.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/