usch;495192 Wrote:
> Not from -any- drive on the network, only from USB drives that are
> directly connected to the Touch. ... I would really like to use it as a
> standalone server, but its capabilities seem way too limited, given that
> plugins are not fully supported and you already need a plugin to do such
> simple things as automatic playlists based on track ratings.

In that case, here's how I think the Touch could turn Squeezebox line
into a successful semi-mass market product:

1) Logitech should sell a few external drives in varying sizes
appropriate for music storage. Ideally these would come with housing
that looks related to the Touch and can share a power adapter with the
Touch. Audio users shouldn't feel like they're shopping for computer
parts.

2) Make sure that a non-technical user can configure all their players
with the most important features using some combination of the server
Touch (the one that hosts the music drive), the other players on the
network, and a separate admin utility that can run on a computer on the
network. By "most important features" I don't mean all plugins, but I
would include lazy search because that is so essential to a usable
system. I've heard that lazy search must be a separate plugin not
provided by Logitech for legal reasons; if that's true, then Logitech
needs to make it possible for someone to make a similar plugin for the
Touch, even if there's not a more general plugin capacity.

Couldn't smart playlists be set up with iTunes or similar programs?

--
bruce