This looks doable, normally the I2S and S/PDIF signals are referenced to
an internal PLL, but there is a register that bypasses the PLL with a
clock from an external pin. There are two of these external clocks, one
of which connects to the EDM connecttor. On the wand carrier board that
clock is not connected to anything so it looks like we can use it to
feed in the external oscilator clock.

The only problem with this is that it is not clear where the bypass
happens, it's not shown in the block diagram. It could either be a
bypass of just the PLL, in which case we need to set the PLL dividers to
1 (normally the PLL runs at 630MHz), OR it might be injected after the
dividers, in which case we don't care about  the divider values.

We still need a pin to control the external clock mux. There is nothing
specific for this in the audio subsystem, it is going to have to a GPIO,
of which there are plenty. I just have to choose one which is active in
the IO mux mode we will be running in. (of which I don't know yet). This
is the one unclear issue preventing me from starting a board layout
right  now. I think I can figure this out from finding  a specific
signal that IS being used, find out what pin its physically on and then
determine which IO mux mode has to be in play for that function to be on
the pin. With the mux mode I can then choose a GPIO that is active  in
that mode.

In any case it looks like there is a way to get an external clock into
the chip and it is on the EDM connector. So I think the wandboard is
good to go as a base hardware platform.

John S.