Some general comments on recent posts: I've been thinking about things
like IR receivers and blasters would probably be better served with USB
interfaced hardware. They are readily available and LIRC already has
drivers to deal with most of them. It makes the hardware simpler, and it
means we don't have to write any custom drivers for the hardware.

It DOES mean that most likely Squeezelite or this other program Triode
was talking about recently would have to interface to LIRC and slimproto
if that's the way Triode wants to do this.

The processor does have an LCD controller, it can either be used as a
separate graphical controller or it can be an output peripheral to the
same video susbsyetm that drives the HDMI. So, if you get something
working with HDMI it's fairly easy to get it to also work with an LCD
display, but you DO have to take screen resolution etc into account. If
you write the application in a pixel independent way and let the
internal hardware scale to the selected output hardware, then it should
be fairly easy. The pins for the LCD interface are on the EDM connector,
so hooking up a panel is pretty easy. The LCD prices are pretty
reasonable these days, you can pick up 4" color TFT displays (with touch
screen) for about $30 in singles on ebay. (that's about the size of the
screen on the Touch)

One of the interesting ramifications of using the wandboard module is
that it becomes easy to make a one off test board to try out different
physical interfaces. For example if we want to try out an LCD interface,
I can quickly and inexpensively make up a small little carrier board
that just has the module connector, Ethernet, USB and LCD interfaces. A
couple people can use these to test out the hardware and maybe work on
drivers etc if needed, and if it works and is deemed desirable we can ad
it in to a full blown board. It makes testing out new interfaces much
cheaper and less risky.

John S.