A small step in the direction of a community player - I've just declared
release 1.0 of squeezelite, the headless player application we hope to
use as part of this project.  If you have not been tracking this before,
but are interested in testing a small linux/windows/osx squeezebox
emulator, please download the player from:
http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list

Please and provide feedback on squeezelite to the thread on the linux
forum:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97046-Announce-Squeezelite-a-small-headless-squeezeplay-emulator-for-linux-(alsa-only)
[it is no longer linux and alsa only] rather than here to avoid poluting
this thread too much.

The aim of this application is to provide a squeezebox emulation
capbable of supporting many of the core audio playback features of
recent hardware players for playback of local files and radio streams
via LMS.  [Note MySB.com and streaming services requiring it are not
supported.]

The player requires separate installation of codecs files and if
installed will play wav/aiff, flac, mp3, ogg and aac streams.