We had a Black Armor NAS go tits up while rebuilding the array. Most of
it was backed-up. Some of the folders had not been backed-up for a
couple of months but it was better than a total loss.

The replacement is two Synology DS1513+'s that are separated by about
half a mile and connected with 1Gbps fiber. They are configured for
Raid-6 and using High Availability, they constantly mirror each other.
They also support hot spares if you are made of money but we just went
with 5 each 3gb WD Red drives.

The only issues have occurred when a switch got fried. This results in
"split brain" which required about a day and a half to rebuild the
passive server.

BFL

Two phrases can guide YOUR life:
Don't fart around.