banned for life wrote:
> We had a Black Armor NAS go tits up while rebuilding the array. Most of
> it was backed-up. Some of the folders had not been backed-up for a
> couple of months but it was better than a total loss.

I've tried to convince some technically semi-literate friends that if
they buy a NAS and use RAID there is a very good chance that when (not
if) they lose a hard drive, they or the hardware or the software are
going to f**k thingS up before or during the rebuilding process to make
that array unrecoverable. In most cases it will be user error. I also
try to convince them of the need for backups, but some see that RAID
array as the solution to their problems. Two of them lost arrays
completely, and one had no backup and lost everything.

> The replacement is two Synology DS1513+'s that are separated by about
> half a mile and connected with 1Gbps fiber. They are configured for
> Raid-6 and using High Availability, they constantly mirror each other.
> They also support hot spares if you are made of money but we just went
> with 5 each 3gb WD Red drives.

Constantly mirroring is both senseless and dangerous. If you consider
this to be a 'backup', then it completely defeats the purpose of having
a backup. If you accidentally delete something, or the files are
inadvertently changed or corrupted or, then the deletions, unintended
changes and corruptions are then mirrored to the second system. If
you're using mirroring for backup, you should only do backups manually
and you should do something to assure yourself that the original library
is healthy before performing a backup. For a music library, you can get
a file count to guard against deletions, and if the files are encoded in
FLAC, you can run a test across the library to be sure files are not
corrupted. You can also often run mirroring software with a test switch,
to first see how many files will be copied.