FTJoe;218377 Wrote:
> I guess I'm now struggling on how to convert my WAV files to flac.  I
> don't want to re-rip all my CDs but without the tag info on a WAV file,
> and the track number as part of the file name, I'm stumped what to use
> to get my WAV files to flac with tag info.  I guess plenty of utils
> will reach out to the CCDB to get the info but I need a util to take
> all my wav files, which are spread throughout an organized itunes
> library, create the flac files and create the tag info.  I could copy
> them over to a single folder but I'm afraid dups would pop up.
I don't think CDDB will help you, since the software have no way of
knowing from which CD a specific WAV is ripped. If I have understand it
correctly CDDB is searched based on a key which is calculated from the
position each track has on the physical CD. So this information can't
be retrieved from a single WAV file.

What is the current situation, do you have WAV files without tags or
have you managed to somehow store tags in the WAV files ?
Or is the tag information just stored in iTunes ?

If the tag information is stored in iTunes, maybe there is some way to
make iTunes convert the WAV's to some lossless format that supports
tags, for example Apple Lossless (ALAC) ?
When you have the information as ALAC it should then be possible to
fine a tool that converts that that file to FLAC in case you don't like
ALAC.

If it isn't possible to do with iTunes automatically another option
might be to do some scripting. If the tag information is visible in
iTunes, it is stored in the iTunes Library xml file. If you have some
development skills or knows someone that has, it might be possible to
do some script that extracts the information from the iTunes xml file
and creates a script which calls metaflac.exe with the correct tag
values for each FLAC file. (metaflac is delivered with the FLAC
standard distribution)

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and RandomPlayList plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer))