On 8/1/07, FTJoe wrote:

> Thanx - that's why I conceded it might be easier to just reference my
> MP3 library (not originally sourced from CD).  My original thinking was
> I could just make all flac and it would be simple to operate against
> these files.  I'm still trying to figure out the music folder and file
> type options in slimserver so I can just reference the files I need.
> My music is stored (organized) in Itunes so the directory structure is
> good, trying to now find something to convert them out all at once to
> flac and maintain the structure.  I also was looking to keep tag info,
> album art etc., but the seemingly best program out there doesn't appear
> to process folders and sub-folders but only operate within a folder
> (MP3TOYS).

Just FYI - you will put yourself at a disadvantage by converting from
MP3 to FLAC, as just carefully outlined by Erland.
Your files will be MUCH bigger (25-50 MB instead of 4-8MB),
Your files will sound EXACTLY the same.  For much more storage space.
It won't be obvious which ones contain a full reproduction of what was
on the CD, and which ones are missing information.

When you rip to FLAC straight from the CD, FLAC stores ALL the
information in the file.  When you rip to MP3, a significant amount of
the music information gets thrown away.
So, in the world of music files, FLAC files are 'better' than MP3
files (from a music information point of view).  But ONLY if they come
directly from the CD.

If I was you, I'd keep my MP3s for the albums you don't have physical
CDs for.  For the cases when you DO have the original CD, re-rip and
throw away the MP3 version.
You end up with a blend of some albums in FLAC, and some in MP3, and
SlimServer handles this very well.
This is the situation I have, and it works well.

Cheers,
Geoff