ncarver;284555 Wrote:
> Hmm.  Never heard of DLL hell, eh?  Before you get too smug about how
> easy it is to provide software for Windows you might want to have a
> look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dll_hell.

The fact that you have to provide a wikipedia link is very telling.
This hasn't been a problem for years, I can say a lot of bad things
about Windows but ease of installation is not one of them - even the
article you link to points out that most of the problems discussed were
fixed in w2k (that's 8 years ago). I personally can't think of a
problematic installation of any software in the last 5 years.

> You might also want to look at the somewhat difficult history of
> providing Perl on Windows:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl#Windows.

SC doesn't require perl on Windows so that's irrelevant to the issue at
hand.

> Ultimately more an issue of whether it is worth training support
> personnel.
Agreed, it's all about getting the low hanging fruit. The problem I see
with supporting Linux is the sheer number of different ways of doing
stuff. Even if linux as a whole one day hit 50% market share on the
desktop, that would probably be split between 5 different major distros
(and many more minor ones), all with their own subtle (or not so subtle)
differences. Thankfully things seem to be stabalizing in terms of
installation managers, but IMHO it's a big shame some of the efforts a
couple of years ago to standardize stuff failed. I guess Ubuntu is
becoming the defacto standard instead now, for better or worse.

--
radish