ModelCitizen;284489 Wrote:
> Judging by the above statements about tarballs, dependencies, threaded
> perl versions etc etc supporting Linux looks like a right nightmare. If
> I was Logitech I'd stick to Windows (but not Vista of course).

Hmm.  Never heard of DLL hell, eh?  Before you get too smug about how
easy it is to provide software for Windows you might want to have a
look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dll_hell.
If you've never installed software on Windows only to have other
software break as a result, then you cannot have done much with
Windows.  There are library dependencies there too, just less variation
in installs (but Linux/UNIX has always handled multiple library versions
better).

You might also want to look at the somewhat difficult history of
providing Perl on Windows:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl#Windows.

Finally, a "tar ball" is just an archive--i.e., a zip file.  Never
downloaded a zip file that you had to extract a program from?  Again,
nothing really different here, except names and formats.  Ultimately
more an issue of whether it is worth training support personnel.

--
ncarver