MrSinatra;309211 Wrote:

> right...  it'll take some experimenting to see if certain strings in
> tags or folder names cause one to be considered a comp by SC.  my guess
> is that SC won't look at strings or folder names with the VA logic
> turned off, but its just a guess.

You don't have to check folder names, the only things that might need
testing is how it reacts if album artist is set to "Various Artists" or
if a track has a single artist tag set to "Various Artists".

MrSinatra;309211 Wrote:

> unfortunately i don't have the skills (or recently, the time) to figure
> out how to do perl and patch SC and so on...  is it possible for you to
> send me the files that i could just copy over my existing files in my
> SC install to make this work?

To be able to run SqueezeCenter on Windows without perl, it needs to be
compiled to binary exe file. Unfortunately I don't have access to the
commercial tools needed to compile it, so unless you can install and
use ActiveState perl I think you will have to wait. If you are using
Linux or Mac it would be easier since these use the non binary version
already by default.

MrSinatra;309211 Wrote:

> as to how it works now, i will happily answer any questions on that
> score, but i don't know what you want me to say?

I was thinking of the handling of when album artists is set to "Various
Artists".

MrSinatra;309211 Wrote:

> it is my opinion that the marketplace majority of mp3 users,
> (especially potential customers to slim) are in the same boat.  and
> therefore they will be turned off greatly by this unexpected behavior.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the new SqueezeCenter users has tagged
their music albums with a single artist. Most people doesn't spend a
lot of time tagging, they just use the information provided by sources
such as freedb.org which typical have a single artist per album.

MrSinatra;309211 Wrote:

> this all relates to bug 8001 as well, which i think is more important
> than this issue.  would you be willing to provide a patch for that
> issue as well?

Doesn't the provided patch also solve the problems in 8001 ?
When the new option is disabled, albums with several artists will never
be considered a compilation album unless you have manually set the
COMPILATION tags. As I see it this should also make sure the album is
sorted according to the TPE2 tag since it's no longer a "Various
Artists" album.

MrSinatra;309211 Wrote:

> please let me know what i can do, or clarify.  thx!
Learn how to install ActiveState perl (if you are using Windows) and
help us test the patch provided.
See here for more information:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/StartingWindowsDev

Let us know when you have installed and successfully run your standard
installation with ActiveState perl and someone can provide a modified
version of SqueezeCenter which includes the patch for you to test. In
this case we also need to know exactly which version you are using, the
nightly release date or the official release number in case you are
using an official release. The preferable situation would be if we
could provide you with a modified version based on the latest nightly
for 7.0.x or 7.1 or 7.2.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and Database Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer))