>but if you have an album with different year dates on the tracks it
>will appear as multiple albums one for each year.
That definitely doesn't happen for me; I've never seen that effect before
(currently on 7.2). I'm sure I've entered different years for songs on some
greatest hits albums.

Of course, I mainly browse by Artist sorted by Artist, or Album sorted by
Album, whereas perhaps you are trying to use some other browsing method.

I could understand the effect you are seeing if you are trying to browse albums
ordered by year, because what year would an album be sorted under?

I just tried browsing "Syd Barrett - Beyond Rhyme Nor Reason":

Browse to artist = Syd Barrett, and sort the list of albums by "year, album". I
see one album (says 1974 as the year - so it has taken an arbitrary song year
as the year for the album).

All songs are listed on that album; they have different years on each song.