The most critical function of a patent or a copyright is that it allows the owner (I'll call this person, for now) of the thing--the invention, the implementation of an idea, etc--to assert ownership of that thing. With that ownership comes the ability to mandate, for the duration of that ownership, the dissemination of that thing. For instance, without ownership, the GNU license would be impossible, because there would be no owner to assert the requirement for that license to be applied.

Notice I have never said anything about owning ideas. In the US, at least, owning ideas is explicitly excluded from the patent/copyright process, however blurred that seems to be getting now. I have an idea for a thing: I write a book that describes that idea, or I build a better keyboard that is an implementation of that idea--the book and the keyboard are mine to control the use of, but the idea remains owned by no one. You can write a different book describing that same idea, and you can build your own better keyboard that implements that same idea, so long as its a different implementation from mine.

Eric Hines