On Monday, March 10, 2014 07:44:07 Omar Rassi wrote:
> Okay, so what this really sounds like is a problem between a few
> individuals about an isolated instant involving one person. This can be
> resolved individually with mediation (if necessary)instead of with
> legislation. Is this now grounds for policy creation? If so, I'd like to
> outline a few other points that could fall in this realm:
>
> 1: The parking lot across the street is private parking and does not belong
> to Synhak. People who park there but are not authorized to do so may be
> towed. Do we need to have a parking policy now?
>
> 2: The military recruiting office is 50ft from our door, there is no
> smoking within 50ft of a government building. Do we need designated smoking
> areas?
>
> 3: I've seen people pull out their personal laptops to show me something
> and in the background I see a torrent application running. They could be
> downloading cracked operating systems, music, movies, TV shows (all of
> which I've heard discussed at Synhak) which is illegal and logged on our ip
> address. Do we need an acceptable use policy to use our internet access?
>
> Devin,
>
> I'm not trying to side-step your suggestion, I'm not even against the idea
> of saying we don't condone that type of thing (because, really, I don't
> condone it so long as it remains against the law). What you're suggestion
> is indicative of the fact that there is no formal statement from Synhak on
> the subject. I'm trying to come up with a resolution that doesn't come off
> as "Synhak has a substance problem" (because Synhak does NOT), that
> protects the organization's interest, and requires little effort to
> implement or the need to go back and change as society changes. What I
> don't want is to foster a climate where if a person has a problem with
> something or someone, that they point their finger and say "You fix it." It
> is the antithesis of a hackerspace. Individual responsibility and community
> are paramount at Synhak and using the board to address minor issues between
> a few individuals with general legislation is a detriment to future of how
> Synhak is governed/operates. The only time the police should ever be
> involved at Synhak is when someone refuses to leave when asked by a
> Champion or other officer.

Since the dawn of time, we've all stressed that the board exists simply so
that SYNHAK, Inc exists as a legal entity in the eyes of the State of Ohio.
The Membership has always been in charge.

I mean, whats the point of having weekly meetings, consensus, champions,
mediation, excellence, and everything else associated with our governance
process if the board feels that they're free to jump in at any time and decide
what is best for us all?