In article <caba8r6s2jgafwhcfxwg7bjubfa_mbv9xmjqpcpsgjnrhnds...@mail.gmail.com>
you write:
>I for one am always amazed how much people use web forums, which are almost
>all universally worse at providing a reading interface or keeping people
>up-to-date on new messages... which might be why most of the one's I look
>at are nearly dead, maybe there are better ones that are active.

Well, there's Reddit, and um, er.  Flyertalk, I guess.

One thing web forum fans seem to miss is how poorly they scale. I
subscribe to at least 150 mailing lists, most of which are only active
occasionally. As mailing lists, that works fine. The busier ones go
into separate folders, less busy into a general folder, and MUAs tell
me which folders have new messages so I can scan through all of my
list mail about as fast as I can hit the tab key to move on to the

In theory RSS or Atom does this for web forums, in practice, it's
amazing how lousy their RSS support is and how lame RSS readers are
for public fora, and hopeless for private ones where you have to log in.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",