> In article
> <caba8r6s2jgafwhcfxwg7bjubfa_mbv9xmjqpcpsgjnrhnds...@mail.gmail.com> you
> write:
> >I for one am always amazed how much people use web forums, which are almost
> >all universally worse at providing a reading interface or keeping people
> >up-to-date on new messages... which might be why most of the one's I look
> >at are nearly dead, maybe there are better ones that are active.

> Well, there's Reddit, and um, er.  Flyertalk, I guess.

> One thing web forum fans seem to miss is how poorly they scale. I
> subscribe to at least 150 mailing lists, most of which are only active
> occasionally. As mailing lists, that works fine. The busier ones go
> into separate folders, less busy into a general folder, and MUAs tell
> me which folders have new messages so I can scan through all of my
> list mail about as fast as I can hit the tab key to move on to the

> In theory RSS or Atom does this for web forums, in practice, it's
> amazing how lousy their RSS support is and how lame RSS readers are
> for public fora, and hopeless for private ones where you have to log in.

And that assumes the site supports RSS/Atom. Many don't.

The other problem with all of these tools is that someone else gets to
decide how to organize your life. If you decide that two different fora
should be grouped together, good luck getting your reader to do that for
you.

But Slack is the true nadir of usability in this regard. I have dozens of
channels I need to monitor, the breakdown of same is not remotely aligned with
how I would prefer to consume them. Add in a complete crap UI, and I honestly
can't think of a mail UI I've used that's worse. Not ever.

                                Ned