On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 1:47 PM Les Barstow <lbarstow=
40proofpoint....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On Monday, June 6, 2022 9:06 AM Todd Herr wrote:
>

> > Back in late April, after rev -07 of DMARCbis was released, there was
> on-list discussion focused on the ABNF bits (section 5.4), and a need to
> revise them. There was also talk of possible proposed text, but I don't
> recall ever seeing any, so I want to start a new thread to try and close
> this loop.
>

> >     dmarc-uri       = URI
>
> >                       ; "URI" is imported from [RFC3986]; commas (ASCII
>
> >                       ; 0x2C) and exclamation points (ASCII 0x21)
>
> >                       ; MUST be encoded
>

> The note was made back then that dmarc-uri was missing the size limitation
> notation, and that restoring the RFC7489 text should be sufficient:
>

> dmarc-rui = URI [ "!" 1*DIGIT [ "k" / "m" / "g" / "t" ] ]
>

> … with the restoration of the comment
>

> the numeric portion MUST fit within an unsigned 64-bit integer

The current rev of DMARCbis makes no mention of the size limitation. The
final paragraph (shown below) of Section 6.4 (Formal Definition) in RFC
7489 was stricken from what's now Section 5.4, so I'm not sure the size
limitation notation is necessary?

   A size limitation in a dmarc-uri, if provided, is interpreted as a
   count of units followed by an OPTIONAL unit size ("k" for kilobytes,
   "m" for megabytes, "g" for gigabytes, "t" for terabytes).  Without a
   unit, the number is presumed to be a basic byte count.  Note that the
   units are considered to be powers of two; a kilobyte is 2^10, a
   megabyte is 2^20, etc.

--

*Todd Herr * | Technical Director, Standards and Ecosystem
*e:* todd.h...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.