Hi,

Le 15/07/2023 à 12:22, Douglas Foster a écrit :
[...]
Track 2: Exception Request
[...]
Track 2 benefits:
[...]
- Elimination of From munging is potentially available to all participants, even those from p=reject domains

This important word here is "potentially". In practice, only an insignificant part of this potential can be achieved, because your plan heavily relies on non-automatable human work, and on end users being able to weight into their providers' policies.

Thus for all practical purposes, "conditional munging" is equivalent to plain munging.

Therefore I propose Track 3:

1) We undo existing munging.

2) We inform end users that, if they do not receive messages from certain senders (especially those senders whose addresses were previously munged), they can regain them by switching their subscription mode to "digests", at least temporarily while their mailbox provider fixes their DMARC handling.

3) Whenever we get bounces, we configure our software to forcibly switch the offending users (I mean the receivers) to "digests". We inform the impacted users that they can try resetting their subscription mode to plain messages after a few months, in case their provider fixed their handling in between.

4) We publicize our rules widely, so mailbox providers know how to avoid inconveniencing their users.

Track 3 benefits:
- fully automatable
- doesn't break the semantics of conversations (digests correctly embed the messages instead of improperly claiming authorship) - gives mailbox providers an incentive to move to a more sophisticated DMARC handling. - doesn't rely on the sending side to fix their practices, as the consensus here seems to be that it will never happen.

Cheers,
Baptiste