On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:15:24AM -0400, Livingood, Jason wrote:
> On 7/14/09 8:58 AM, "Suzanne Woolf" <wo...@isc.org> wrote:
>
> > In this case, we're talking about resolvers replacing
> > authoritative server data with their own.
>
> Actually, I thought the case was resolvers providing an alternate response,
> where NO authoritative data exists.  ??

"I'm authoritative for this domain, and there's no such RR in it." The
assertion there's no data at that name is part of the scope of
authority, and NXDOMAIN is an authoritative answer. (See also the
various tussles over "empty non-terminals," "authenticated proof of
non-existence," and the precise semantics of DS records alongside a
delegation in the parent zone.)

> Yes, I suspect you may well be right on Informational vs. BCP.  But I'm
> pleased with the detailed feedback I have thus far received.

Documented is better than not. Carry on. :)