Benno,

On Feb 21, 2020, at 4:08 AM, Benno Overeinder
<be...@nlnetlabs.nl<mailto:be...@nlnetlabs.nl>> wrote:

I am interested to learn what the problem is that the customer wants to
solve.  Quoting from the email from Evan Hunt in this thread: "CNAME at
the apex wasn't really the problem.  Getting browsers to display
content from the right CDN server was the problem."

If there is a specific use case for CNAME in the APEX (ANAME), I am
really interested to learn from this.

Similar to Karl’s customers, I want to use domains name without any subdomains
to point to a CDN address and have the appropriate CDN edge node respond. I had
outlined my perspective in a draft last year:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-york-dnsop-cname-at-apex-publisher-view-01

What Evan says is true… it’s not so much that I “need” to have “CNAME at apex”.
I just need some method that becomes widely available that allows web browsers
(and other web endpoints) to go from “example.com<http://example.com>” to a CDN
node.

If HTTPSVC can do that, and browser vendors will implement it [1], then that
use case can be satisfied.

Dan

[1] And, of course, to get “the DNS infrastructure” to allow domain registrants
to get the HTTPSVC records updated with their DNS hosting operator, which often
means upgrading those DNS operators to support the new record. But that is an
issue with ALL of the various “new DNS record” solutions we’ve come up with.

--
Dan York, Director, Web Strategy / Project Leader, Open Standards
Everywhere<https://www.internetsociety.org/issues/open-standards-everywhere/> /

[cid:image001.png@01D5D03B.DF736FF0]
internetsociety.org<https://www.internetsociety.org/> |
@internetsociety<https://twitter.com/internetsociety>