On 2/21/20 3:01 PM, Klaus Malorny wrote:
> simply that I want to get rid of it. IMHO one aim of a new technology
> should be to make old technology obsolete, esp. such workarounds. If I
> have to keep them (forever?), where is the benefit (for me as a company)?

I see.  You'd like to deploy something like the apex CNAMEs one-sidedly
without workarounds (just on authoritative DNS servers).  That's
basically what the proprietary flattening schemes do today.

In this case however, I personally believe it's much better design *not*
to put the link-following work on authoritative servers (or their
provisioning) but further down the chain (resolvers and/or clients).
Well, I suppose I don't really want to open a long thread around this
topic again :-)

Your question: the benefit I see is that you make the processing
"better" for up-to-date clients, if I simplify it.  I think the browser
side will generally be well-incentivized to deploy httpssvc support
relatively widely/quickly (compared to usual DNS pace).

--Vladimir