On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 08:15:19PM -0500, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 04:26:00PM -0600, Brian Paul wrote:

> > Would it be better if the DRI User Guide were divided into a number of
> > separate HTML pages, instead of one long document?  I could do that
> > with the sgml2html converter.  I'm hesitant to create new documents
> > because that's more work and harder to keep up to date.

> I think that the DRI user's guide as it stands works well as a single
> page, and would suffer from being broken down more finely.  As it is,
> it's easy to print, download, and search.  The XFree86 documentation is
> sometimes difficult to navigate because it's so finely broken down.

There comes a point when navigating a single document for 10 words of data (`this card
is known to work with no outstanding issues') is no easier than trying to learn
everything there is to know about a given brand.  Multi-page vs. single-page documents
will be debated til the end of the world, and I prefer multi-page documents.  In the
end, it's up to the author.

> If significant new information were added (statuses on each supported
> card for example) then perhaps that should go on a new page, but I don't
> think that's what you're proposing here.

That may be better.  You should read the guide to get an idea of what's involved and
how it works; scan the matrix to see if your card is supported, then read a small but
in-depth document about your particular card/chipset/brand.

--
-=|JP|=-    "I'm not unemployed, my career's just in a holding pattern"
Jon Pennington          | Debian 2.3                 -o)