Alan Hourihane wrote:
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:34:23 +0000, Keith Whitwell wrote:

Dave Jones wrote:

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:09:18PM +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:

Some apps only run smooth with 2.5.49+ kernels due to Linus latest

work. > > Nothing of it in XFree or DRI, yet.

Linus should submit it here for inclusion - simple. I doubt any of us
are tracking 2.5.x that closely at the moment.
I'm surprised Linus finds the time to do the DRI merges he does already.
Pushing stuff back to DRI-devel is going to take up even more of his time,
so this should ideally be done by someone else, preferably someone who
really understands the code.

Yes. What Linus does is above and beyond what we could/should reasonably expect. Asking him to do more isn't an option.

It's either that, or the person who sent Linus the patch should submit
it here. I think the latter is far more difficult.

Otherwise we (as in someone on the DRI lists - not necessarily a committer to
the project) are going to have to track the 2.5.x series and 2.4.x series
for stable and development DRM modules now.
Well, I've done this for 2.5.51, and the short answer is: there's not a lot of difference.

There's been a port of the DMA_IRQ_BH mechanism from tq_struct's to work_struct's. This is a 2.5-only change for a start (no work_struct's in 2.4, it seems), and additionally only affects the gamma driver (which should be binned if nobody takes it up -- it's been a year, I think).

There are some janatorial fixes - one to an #if 0'd region, one to the sis driver (which really must be binned!) and one to the i810, which is valid.

And that's it...

Maybe there's more in 2.4.20?

Keith