well, I managed to fix the 2D corruption in tile mode on savage4.  the
problem is that the bits of the GBD (MM816C) have different meaning on
savage4 vs. twister/prosavage.  The fix is to use the
SavageEnableMode_M7() function for savage4 rather than
SavageEnableMode_Twister().  This also negates the need to define
SAVAGE4 in savage_bci.h since SavageEnableMode_M7() already uses 8 for
BCI_ENABLE.
alternatively you can edit the SavageEnableMode_Twister() to use the
proper values, but the results are the same (and you don't break
twister/prosavage).

with tiling mode fixed, 3D behaves similarly to linear mode.  the 3D
app runs, but is scrambled somewhat.  I'm not sure where the fix for
that lies, probably on the 3D side.

Also, with regard to VT switches, I haven't seen any lockups.

Alex