Jani Partanen wrote:
Database quarantine is something I really would like to see.

For what purpose?

I thought about this from a speed perspective (in particular when sorting by criteria such as confidence levels). However, simple text indexes achieves this pretty well without the database dependency.

Is there another benefit of moving to a database I hadn't thought about? As mentioned elsewhere, moving the logs to a database would suit me a lot, so I'm looking for good excuses!

On the basis of "picking the best tool for the job" and "not reinventing the wheel" either a database or an IMAP server would fit; suitability for handling email specifically might suggest IMAP over database though, not least the fact that (if necessary) a mail client could be configured to talk to IMAP pretty easily, eg for sending back missed spam.

Alex Tomlins wrote:
I'd second that...

I'm not sure about the IMAP idea. Something I like about dspam at the moment is that it is a self-contained solution (that's most of why I moved to it from spamassassin). If you start feeding stuff out to IMAP servers etc, you end up with more external dependencies.

This seems to be a good argument against IMAP servers *AND* database servers.

If anything, it's more likely that a typical mail server will have an IMAP server already present than a database.

--
Mark Rogers // More Solutions Ltd (Peterborough Office) // 0845 45 89 555
Registered in England (0456 0902) at 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG