Forgot to copy the list....  See below.

Alex Tomlins wrote:

Mark Rogers wrote:
Alex Tomlins wrote:
By database I was thinking whatever database backend dspam was using (hash, mysql, postgres etc.), not specifically a RDBMS. While implementing this it would make sense to put the user logs in there as well. The advantage to doing this is that all the data for dspam would be in one place as opposed to the current setup where some of it is in a database, and some of it is on the filesystem.

OK, I see your point. However, I'm not sure suited how well a hash database would be for storing quarantine emails - or, for that matter, even a RDBMS. Logging to a RDBMS would be helpful given how much processing we do of dspam log files, but in most cases that can be improved simply through better ways of handling the text files.

I'm strongly of the opinion that mbox is horrible, but which alternative is best I'm open to suggestion on.
I agree with that sentiment.. Personally I'd just replace it with a Maildir. This should require minimal changes to dspam (and could even be added as a config option). It also has the bonus that you can clear out old messages just using the mtime (which can be done with a single find command). It might also be possible to use symlinks so that the maildir is actually a subfolder of a users mailbox, and can then be accessed via IMAP (I know Courier-imap is fine with adding messages to other folders as well as the inbox).

If there is a better option for the log files, then it should be fine to leave them where they are.

Actually, using maildir would enable much more fine grained expunging methods, where you could for example expunge all spam over 90% confidence after 7 days, over 75% in 14 days, 60% in 30 days etc...

I like that idea. I might even have a look at the code for that. Now that DJB has put qmail in the public domain it should be simple enough to pull the Maildir delivery code out of there.

Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email/Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started.