I tie an ordinary knot in the string (nylgut or gut trebles) and then put on a
small homemade thin leather washer (small - about 3 to 4mm sq small enough to
go through the pin hole) before putting it into the pin hole. This also
provides some protection to the soft belly underneath (usually there's no
reinforcing type plate under the bridge on these early instruments) - I know of
no evidence that this was done in earlier times.

  I then hold it down whilst bringing up to pitch.

  MH

"Eugene C. Braig IV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  At 05:36 AM 11/25/2007, Stuart Walsh wrote:
>Christopher Stetson wrote:
>>Hi, all,
>>I'm fairly new to this early guitar thing, and I just got a small parlor
>>guitar. I'm wondering if anyone has any hints for mounting gut or nylgut
>>strings to a pin-style bridge. I've tried just tying a knot, but it
>>keeps popping out the pin about a 4th lower than target pitch. I've
>>thought of putting a bead or the little washer from a steel string into
>>the knot, but haven't yet tried it. Any advice or experience would be
>>appreciated.
>>Best, and keep playing.
>>Chris.
>>

>I've got a 19th century guitar with pin-style bridge. But I'm using nylon
>strings - though I'd like to try gut some time.
>
>Just tying a knot seems to work fine - after I got the hang of it. The way
>I have done it on my guitar is to tie a simple knot at the end of the
>string, then poke the string through the peg-hole in teh bridge, then put
>the peg in, aligning the string with the groove on the peg. Then tighten
>up slowly with pauses, sometimes pushing the peg back down.

I have a couple 19th-c. guitars. I usually use synthetics, but sometimes
use gut. I simply knot as well: usually a simple double-overhand knot in
unwound b and e' and a single on the rest. Gut can be trickier for the
fine strings, but I can make it work in similar fashion to that described
by Rob.

Grooved pins are a relatively recent development. Both my 19th-c. guitars
still carry old and un-grooved pins. I'm not certain if it makes much
difference, but I suspect the un-grooved pins might be a little less prone
to allowing knot ejection.

Best,
Eugene