From: Christopher Stetson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 November 2007 23:17
To: early-guitar@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [EARLY-GUIT] Re: Gut (or gut alternatives) with bridge pegs.

Hi, all,
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, mine has quite a bit of velocity when it leaves home, too.  BTW,
it's the 1st string (standard issue classical guitar nylon) that's given
me trouble.  I've gotten the overspun 6th string to stay in just fine.
Haven't tried the others yet.  I"ve tried the holding in trick, but
haven't gone to full tension, assuming it would need to stay in on it's
own eventually.  Rob, do yours hold at pitch after you hold it in?

To Jelma; it's new guitar, though not from a artisan builder.  I thought
it was a problem with peg fit, but a guitar dealer said no.  It made
sense, since a steel string stays in just fine, so I assumed it was the
missing "ball" that was the problem.  I fugured that the knot (I've got
4 stacked up on each other now) was slipping into the slot and applying
pressure vertically to the soundboard, thereby pushing the pin out,
whereas the ball (I imagine) gets lodged under the board and therefore
applies pressure to the pin horizontally to the soundboard, thereby
pushing the pin against the side of the hole.  Anyway, I'll try the
paper trick.

I'm sure it will work out.

Best,
C.

>>> "Music" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/25/2007 9:42 am >>>
Hi Chris,

I keep pushing the pin in with one hand whilst winding the string with
the other. Not easy, but it works for me.

I once was allowed access to a Panormo in a historical instrument museum
collection. As I was playing, one of the bridge pins flew out, bounced
off a nearby cabinet...and disappeared. I looked everywhere for it, but
no avail. Eventually I had to inform the curator that I had lost one of
their bridge pins. A small hunt ensued with five people scouring the
ground and every other surface. Still no bridge pin. I felt awful, and
eventually went home feeling sheepish. I vowed never to set foot in the
museum again. However...while watching TV later that evening, I glanced
down and saw the pin sticking out from the turn-ups in my trousers! I
returned it the next day.

Be careful with those criters!

Rob

Rob MacKillop